Sunday 28 February 2016

Just something about me

I just want to share a little bit of my childhood. When I was about nine years old I was sitting in front of our house with my mother. It is tradition to sit in front of your house watching people walking by and saying hello to the passers by while knitting or munching on peanuts or seeds of any kind. It was a fine day and at some point my mum asked me if I wanted to go to the nuns, I said yes straight away it was kind of fashion back then. She was telling me are you sure you want to go I said yes, yes, She said I will take you Saturday. She was saying you will not have to walk to school and she was less scared that a car will hit us that we were safer there. I remember the day she took us, oh! she also took my younger sister she was seven at the time, we were walking in front of a small church on our way there. As we got there big iron gates that we had to go through and a big entrance door. Mum rang the bell and a small hunchback lady called Marinton opened and she showed us the chairs to wait for a nun to come. I don't remember what my mum said to the nun but we said good bye to my mother kissed her hand as that was what she thought us and the nun took us in. I don't remember what we did then but I do remember when they were doing our beds. I saw them putting our beds together and the put plastic on the beds as soon as I saw that, I told her we don't pee in our beds you know, the nun told me here you don't say pee you say toilet. They gave us a number mine was 5 well this was an important number to remember we had a big wardrobe and in under my number they place my belongings. We would try uniforms because people paid the nuns for us to go to funerals, so on our dresses we would have a number to let them know which one was ours and white hats with dark blue ribbon we looked so smart like in the Tv show Madeline.  I cried a little that day because my mother told me that my other two elder sisters were going to stay with us if she hasn't said anything I wouldn't have. So on Sunday or Monday my two elder sisters came to join us there. We used to get up around six or six thirty I think, we had to wash our face, teeth and do our beds the very young ones got help from the elderly girls to help with beds. Then we will go to a small chapel which I loved so much and we had mass after that we will go downstairs and have breakfast. Our breakfast was coffee with bread and butter and on special occasion chocolate. Milk was dry powdered milk. We were all allocated chores from a four year old to maybe seventeen year old. What would a four year old do you may ask? well she had to sweep the stairs. Then after we had a school we will go to classes. This place we were in was huge there were also boarders they paid to stay there they didn't do chores as far as I know. So in there, there was part for boarders and few nuns, a small theater and changing room, classes, our tv room, our dining room, the nuns' dining room, two staircases, another room we hardly used, our dormitory, nuns' dormitory, big yard where we played and a big garden we had a gardener too. I will keep on telling you about my time there, they were good times and disciplined but I loved it being there and I loved and respected the nuns deeply for what they have done for us, till next time then stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment