Sunday 1 May 2016

My childhood

 I come from Malta, actually from Gozo another smaller island which is under Malta. We speak the same language, slightly slang, written the same. We have the same traditions. One of the traditions is that in each village we celebrate our patron saints. I am not sure if in each village there are more then one patron saint but in mine there were actually three. Saint Peter and St Paul and  St Coronato which we celebrated in November. St Peter and Paul we celebrated it in June 29th. We will have nine days where the festivities starts but the biggest is on the actual day. During these days there will be band which goes around some main streets. People from different towns would come in our town and we would go to theirs. It is good for young girls and boys to meet and drink and have fun. It is a big deal for the people living there or that they have been abroad and went there for a holiday. When I was young about eight years, I didn't want to go to this feast and I asked my mother if I could stay home. I used  to hate it walking with the band and stay late as the band would take till about 11:30 or midnight to finish. It wasn't fun for me. So my younger sister and two smaller brothers stayed with me. I was the oldest then on that day while everyone left to have fun. My mother told me if I was scared to yell out for my neighbour. She was outside as it is another tradition where there would stay infront of their house watching people passing by. We had a big house and we had a section where we had animals. We had three doors that you could use to go in our house from outside. We had three doors to get in our house from the backyard, plus a garage door. So we get back to the story after a short while when everyone left we heard someone trying to open the backyard doors. We were scared stiff we couldn't move from our beds. We thought they will come and get us. My sister and I were talking together what we will do if they came upstairs where we were. I told her we will tie the sheets together and climb outside the balcony. I suppose we saw that on the television. Anyway I couldn't wait till someone came home but it took forever. The boys slept and my sister did too. I stayed awake waiting and very scared. After some hours, my father finally came when he opened the door I called him crying and he came up to see what is the matter. I told him there was someone trying to open the doors from the backyard and he said that was him, he thought we were all asleep so he left us be. He got me a drink I guess he was sorry about it. One very special thing about my father is that we all feel we were his favourite, and we are eleven siblings. How did he do that I still don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment